* European languages all seem to have similar words for "potato"
* In fact, a lot of languages do
* Potatoes are a new world vegetable
* What are the native words for potato?
* Which Europeans met which Americans and what words did they use?
* How were those words borrowed?
* How have they changed over time?
* What are the categories of words and where did they probably come from?
* Phonetic loans (potato, batatas)
* Truffle (kartoffel, kirtopa)
* Earth something (seems like mostly apple or bean - pomme de terre, tudou)
* Other similar plants like yams, taro, etc. (alu, kiazi, yangyu)
* Tuber (kentang, damloung)
* Make a map