I got a new laptop last week and I thought I'd try out Arch since I've been getting a little bored with the Debian universe lately. My old laptop had CrunchBang on it, which was fun to play around with and very fast but I thought I'd challenge myself and try something that wasn't based on Debian.
I got bored on Saturday afternoon so I decided to sit down and write a program that would use a neural network to automatically organize my video collection, renaming files with names like The.Conversation.1974.720p.BluRay.x264-AMiABLE [PublicHD] to something more readable like The Conversation (1974). This is my life…
Anyway, I didn't (still don't) know much of anything about neural networks, so I read some words about them and about genetic algorithms. In doing so, I ended up completing this exercise that uses a genetic algorithm to find a sequence of digits and operators that yields a certain target number. The problem I had was that his examples all parsed the sequences from left to right, ignoring order of operations (e.g. 6+5*4/2+1 = 23 instead of 17). I thought it would be fun to try to actually get the right result from these expressions, so I set out to write a simple parser for them.
I saw this post on Reddit this afternoon and it reminded me how terrible Google Translate generally is. Here's the image: Someone in the comments also linked to Translation Party, which translates between English and Japanese until the same thing comes out twice. It shows a lot of interesting problems with the model that Google uses to do translations. This one came off of a bottle of Rain-X I had lying around.
I have been asked by a few different people I work with how to access our Subversion repository through a firewall, so I thought I'd record my solution here in case I'm ever asked again.
My university has a firewall that blocks all incoming connections. There's a VPN system we can use that requires some terrible software that's a pain to set up and there is one server that we have SSH access to from outside the university. I'm sure the IT department really likes its firewall, but it's really inconvenient for those of us who have our own computer systems that are now inaccessible from the internet. My research group has a subversion repository that's located on a computer of ours behind this firewall. It's very handy if I'm on-campus, but if I'm at home or in a hotel or something, I can't get to my work if I forgot to bring it with me or if I want to check in a quick change. I've changed some of the hostnames, but this is basically what the network topology looks like:
I've been enjoying watching videos on my Raspberry Pi since I bought it last October, but it sometimes struggles a little bit with HD video, which is really annoying when it's in the middle of an important scene and the audio skips just enough to make me miss something. I decided I'd try overclocking the thing and see how much more performance I could get out of it.
I have Raspbmc installed on my Pi at the moment and I quite like it. By default it overclocks the CPU from its default 700 MHz to 800 MHz, which the Raspberry Pi people say is safe. The firmware loads the clock speed and chip voltages from /boot/config.txt, so this is where I'll be making all of the changes to overclock it. I've already made a few modifications to this file, but this is what it looks like before any overclocking: